Sunday, July 8, 2012

Third Times A Charm

Three full nights in one tiny week.  What a big deal for this mommer.  I liked every minute of freedom.  Lots of husbandbrotherfrienddrinkyfamilymusic time.  Out and about til late.  Too late.  And humor and laughter and late night quesidillas.  Spending time with quirks and old time buds.  Lovely.

A countdown of evening events leaves the best last.
  
Night One

Eric and I enjoyed an evening of soulful, americana-esk, jazzy, outstanding music via Kelli Scarr.  I believe she was just as good as Catpower or Feist.  Her voice was perfectly textured.  Cute girl, pretty girl.  I could go on...smooth + gritty.  Deep and sultry. Perfect for dancin to, cryin to, or makin love to.

We also spent some time with my brother and his hilarious friends at The Lift.  A few drinks, more than I am use to these days, and some memorable conversations.  Followed by yummy cheese quesadillas made by my super nice guy.

Like, 1am cheese quesadillas.

Night Two how bout we call it July 4th. and bear with me, thee actual night part is comin up.

Every year on the fourth we go to a small town in Iowa called Milo. Eric's grandmother lives there and a hometown parade meanders past her house.  Firetrucks and ponies.  Boy scouts and girl scouts.  Service men and women.  Old cars and new cars.  Candy throwin kids and candy throwin adults.  A lot to see and hear.



Ivy was a bit of a spaz fourth of July morning.  But, she did love the horses and was able to pet a pony. She loved playing in great grandma's toy collection with her cousin Cameron.


                                                                         


                                                                            

Later that evening Eric, Ivy, and I went to my ma and pa's house for some grillin out.  My cousin Ari, her husband Andy, and their baby Lily also came to the celebratory shin dig.  We each brought a side and a beverage.

Andy and Ari brought a very special beverage called the Meisner Bombay Bucket.  Think a bucket full of orange juice, lemon concentrate, sugar, fresh mint, Bombay gin, ice, and 7up.  And I think in that order. We all sipped out of the same ol' bucket, a tradition Andy's family upholds at family gatherings.


Miesner Bombay Bucket

We had a lot of fun.  Men talks and lady talks while the babies slept.  Ivy isn't really a baby anymore, I know. But she is MY baby.






And the following photo was sent to me from my sweet momma.  Isn't she lovely?  But this pictures is teeeensy. Anyway, I wanted to share it because it so reminds me of when my Ari and I were little girls.  Facial, body, and our real imperfect yet perfectly authentic selves.  I love it.

                                                                            

Night Three

I was looking forward to spending an evening at the 80/35 Music Festival.  Mostly  because it was going to be a summer night out.  Easy, breezy.  People watching and a few beers.  But, and the but is BIG, it was way toooo hot for my liking.  So, we took a quick jaunt with Ivy through the masses of sweaty hipsters and trendy betties.  Within 10 minutes I looked like I had taken a shower.  Awful.

Upon getting the heck outta there, we decided to stop off at Ritual Cafe for a smoothie.  Refreshing and yum.  Air conditioned heaven!







After our sauna-like experience, we dropped Ivy off at my mom's for her second overnight in a week.  Record.  We decided pizza and porch sitting after sunset sounded nice.  Oh, and early to bed.  It was probably the most relaxing night of the week.  A quiet night in and quality time with that guy I love.

While I have a great time amongst people and things out of the ordinary, my favorite way to spend time is in simplicity and health.  I forget that, though.  I forget it too much.

I am not sure about you, but I get in the go-go mode too easily.  I always think the fun will fill me.  Oh, and it does, but never enough.  So, I was thankful for that heat that pushed me to stillness.  And creativity.  And peace.  I need to go there more often. 





                                                 









No comments:

Post a Comment